Since the first PlayStation console started entertaining the global youth (and those that feel that way) more than 25 years ago, this piece of technology has become a staple of the modern living room. Just a few months ago, PlayStation 5 was released with a slew of new technologies that promise to push the boundaries of visual immersion even further. As expected, the demand has been sky-scraping.
This article will look at some fascinating PlayStation statistics, such as its astounding sales figures, limited edition consoles, game stats and facts, and more.
What did it take to step into the future of gaming? Let’s press play and find out!
Top 10 PlayStation Statistics to Get Your Game On
- The PlayStation Network (PSN) had over 109 million active users in April 2021.
- Sony PlayStation holds the Guinness World Record for the most-sold gaming console brand ever.
- Тhe latest PlayStation Plus statistics show a yearly increase of 6.1 million users for FY 2020/21.
- Women account for more than 40% of all PS4/PS5 gamers.
- The PS5 sales numbers are forecast at 67.3 million by the end of 2024.
- As of 5 June 2021, Sony has sold more than 9 million PlayStation 5 consoles.
- PlayStation holds a market share of 49.3% in the United Kingdom as of June 2021.
- 32.2% of PlayStation 4 owners own an Xbox One console too.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man is the best-selling PS4 game of all time.
- With 3.93 million sales ahead of the newest Xbox, PlayStation 5 holds the commanding lead as of June 2021.
General PlayStation Statistics
1. The PlayStation Network had over 109 million active users in April 2021.
The most recent PlayStation network stats from April 2021 show almost 110 million active users around the globe. These figures demonstrate a minor decline from the record 114 million reported in December 2020. All in all, recent years have seen an immense increase in unique PSN users—which counted 50 million mere seven years ago.
2. Sony PlayStation holds the Guinness World Record for the most-sold gaming console brand ever.
One of the most interesting facts about PlayStation is that Sony has been awarded the title of best-selling home console brand in history. By November 2019, Sony has sold over 450 million PlayStation consoles across its whole lineup—an impressive feat that hasn’t gone unnoticed by the Guinness World Records adjudicators. Moreover, this number is expected to increase significantly thanks to the enormous popularity of the newly-released PlayStation 5.
3. In FY 2020/21, Sony’s Game and Network Services generated $25.03 billion.
The most recent PlayStation sales statistics released by Sony in April 2021 reveal that its GNS revenue has climbed to over $25 billion in the 12 months ending on March 31, 2021—more than three times the amount ($7.57 billion) reported in 2011. Moreover, owing to the sales impact of the PS5 launch, Sony was also left with $3.22 billion in profits.
4. Over 4,000 old-gen games can be played on the PS5.
Backwards compatibility on the PS5 is a lot simpler than it was for the previous console generations. With the exception of a few games, you can now transfer your whole PS4 library to the PS5. This feature applies to both digital and physical game copies.
Playstation Usage Statistics
5. Тhe latest PlayStation Plus statistics show a yearly increase of 6.1 million users for FY 2020/21.
Per the PlayStation Plus membership stats revealed by Sony in April 2021, the PSP had more than 47.6 million subscribers—a significant increase from the 41.5 million reported a year prior. The tremendous popularity boost of the PlayStation Plus platform in recent years is apparent when you consider it only had 8 million subscribers in 2014.
6. In 2020, Playstation users accumulated a total of 60.9 billion gameplay hours.
(Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.)
Sony’s PlayStation game stats, published in their latest Game & Network Services Segment report, show that users have collectively played for nearly 61 billion hours, which is equivalent to almost 7 million years.
Furthermore, the average gameplay hours on the PS5 during the first five months of release are significantly higher than those of the PS4. For instance, while gamers used the PS5 for 62.3 hours on average in January 2021 (two months after release), PS4 users played an average of 40.9 hours two months after the PS4 launch.
7. The PS4 and PS5 are most popular with users aged 31–36.
(Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.)
Looking at the PlayStation account stats in Sony’s Game & Network Services Segment released in 2021, we can see that the PS4 and PS5 are most popular with gamers between 31 and 36 years of age. On the other hand, the PS1 was mostly used by teenagers aged 13 to 18, meaning that the company customer base has remained loyal over time.
8. Women account for more than 40% of all PS4/PS5 gamers.
(Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.)
The number of women who own a PS console has increased significantly in recent years. According to Sony, women account for 41% of all PlayStation users nowadays—an increase of 23% since the PS1 days. This gender divide among PS gamers is expected to equalise even more in the years to come.
9. In FY 2020/21, 10% of all PlayStation sales came from outside the EU, North America and Japan.
(Road to VR)
Other PlayStation facts found in the GNS Segment point out that South and Central America, Africa, and most of Asia are Sony’s growing markets. While these marketplaces contributed only 1% of PS sales revenue in FY 2020, they have seen boosted sales over the years. By 2010, that number has increased to 5%, and now it stands at more than 10%.
10. So far, the PlayStation VR is the best-selling virtual reality headset.
Unlike other headset manufacturers, Sony has been revealing its PlayStation VR world statistics regularly over the years. These figures show us that by the start of 2020, Sony has sold around 5 million units—far more than other brands.
Playstation Sales Statistics
11. In total, Sony sold 102.5 million PlayStation 1 units during the console lifetime.
The PS1 was released at the end of 2014 in Japan and established Sony’s position as an up-and-coming video gaming company. The console was most prominent in North America, where its total lifetime sales amounted to 40.78 million units. Europe was its second-biggest market with 31.09 million units sold, followed by Japan with 21.59 million, and the rest of the world with 9.04 million sales.
12. The PlayStation 2 is the all-time best-selling console worldwide.
One of the most fascinating PlayStation sales statistics is the staggering number of PS2s bought by console gamers. With its 157.68 million purchases throughout its lifetime, PlayStation 2 is the most-sold game console of any type—ahead of Nintendo DS by almost 3 million units.
13. By September 2020, Sony sold 87.41 million PlayStation 3 units worldwide.
Since Sony released the PlayStation 3 in late 2006, it has sold almost 88 million units, as shown by Statista’s PlayStation 3 sales statistics released in late 2020. The company sold 34.99 million units in Europe and 29.42 million in North America. The rest of the world bought around 12.53 million PS3s, with the remainder (10.5 million) going to Japanese gamers.
14. Sony’s PlayStation 4 has sold 114.19 million units worldwide as of November 2020.
As Statista’s latest PlayStation sales statistics show us, the fourth Sony console was reaching 115 million sales by the end of 2020. After release, the PlayStation 4 sales were trending unusually. For example, Sony sold more PS4s in the third and fourth year of the platform’s life than during the first two.
15. The PS5 sales numbers are forecast at 67.3 million by the end of 2024.
(Statista) (The Verge)
The latest PlayStation sales predictions turned out quite accurate. Before 2021, the company managed to sell 4.5 million PS5 units. Additionally, the latest Statista PlayStation statistics and predictions indicate that the PS5 is expected to sell around 17.9 million units through the end of 2021, and over 67 million units by the end of 2024.
16. As of 5 June 2021, Sony has sold more than 9 million PlayStation 5 consoles.
According to the most recent Sony PlayStation sales statistics, the company sold 199,629 PS5s for the week ending 5 June. The latest numbers suggest that Sony’s newest console is most popular in Europe, wherein it made 82,852 sales during the week in question. Nonetheless, getting a PS5 is still extremely difficult even with Sony’s gigantic manufacturing capabilities.
17. PlayStation holds a market share of 49.3% in the United Kingdom as of June 2021.
Statcounter data from June 2021 shows that almost half of UK console gamers are using a PlayStation. However, if we look at the PlayStation company growth on a global scale, we’ll see that the Sony PS dominates the console market with a 59.45% share.
Playstation Vs. Xbox Statistics
18. 32.2 % of PlayStation 4 owners own an Xbox One console too.
Recent PS4 vs Xbox One stats released by Ampere Analysis in 2020 suggest that while consumers pick one or the other brand at launch, a large number also tend to buy the competition’s product in the long run. For example, around a third of PS4 owners have also bought an Xbox One. In contrast, Xbox One owners are less satisfied with their initial choice, as evidenced by almost half of Microsoft’s consumers who have also bought a PS4.
19. In 2016, PS4 users played 12 minutes less on a daily average than Xbox One gamers.
The GlobalWebIndex conducted a survey in Q2 2016 to reveal various Xbox vs PlayStation statistics, including time spent playing per day. GWI’s findings revealed that while Xbox users were playing for 2 hours 27 minutes per day, PS4 users were spending 2 hours and 12 minutes daily with their consoles.
20. With 3.93 million sales ahead of the newest Xbox, PlayStation 5 holds the commanding lead as of June 2021.
The PS5 and the Xbox X|S were released within a few days of each other (November 2020), allowing for a fair comparison between their sales performance. Looking at the worldwide PS5 vs Xbox Series X sales, we see that the PS5 is currently ahead with about 4 million units eight months after Microsoft and Sony launched their newest platforms. The PlayStation 5 is also ahead of the initial PS4 sales number, with over 550,000 sold units (once you align their launch dates).
21. With a 60% share, the PlayStation brand currently dominates the global console market.
After including the Xbox and Playstation sales statistics from June 2021 into the latest market share estimates, we see that the PS brand holds the majority share of almost 60%, while Xbox sales account for the other 40%. Finally, Nintendo, the pioneer in gaming consoles, is involved with a less-than-1% share in the market.
Playstation Games Statistics
22. Gran Turismo was the best-selling game for the PS1.
The original PlayStation game stats tell us that the best-selling game franchises for the PS1 are Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. The first Gran Turismo game sold around 10.85 million copies, going down in history as the best-selling PS1 game of all time. Final Fantasy VII follows closely with 10 million copies. Moreover, the third and fourth places are taken by their sequels.
23. Marvel’s Spider-Man is the best-selling PS4 game of all time.
With around 20 million units shipped globally since its September 2018 release, Marvel’s Spider-Man is the best-selling PS4 game of all time, according to a March 2021 survey. The same Sony PlayStation sales statistics reveal that GTA V is a close second with 19.4 million copies sold.
24. In September 2020, Fortnite had more than 25 million monthly active users on PS4.
Statista’s latest PlayStation player stats show us that Fortnite is one of the most popular video games of all time, with more than 350 million registered users worldwide. Furthermore, around 25 million of all registered users logged onto the game’s servers in September 2020.
25. Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA V are the best-rated PS4 games of all time.
With a Metacritic score of 97/100, RDR 2 and GTA V share the top spot as the best-reviewed games on PS4. These PlayStation 4 facts about the console’s most popular games have been established as a weighted average of all published critic reviews, without any input from users.
26. God of War had the most successful launch as a PlayStation exclusive in history.
One of the most interesting facts about PlayStation 4 is that God of War had a momentous launch, selling a record 3.1 million copies within three days. This latest instalment in the franchise has also earned over $131 million in its first month after release, and as of 2019, it has accrued $500 million in profits.
Awesome Playstation Facts
27. The iconic PlayStation controller was designed to match the games’ 3D graphics.
(The Fact Site)
Unlike the flat game controllers of the late 90s, Sony’s Teiyu Goto made a controller with a 3D design to represent the three-dimensional worlds found in its games. Goto also designed the shape and colour of the symbols on its buttons. The green triangle refers to the point of view; the pink square symbolises documents or menus; the red O and the blue X represent “Yes” and “No” decisions.
28. In 2002, a PS2 fan legally changed his name to Mr. PlayStation 2.
Of all crazy PlayStation 2 facts, the name change of the Englishman Dan Holmes into Mr. PlayStation 2 is perhaps the craziest. His immense love for the console encouraged him to officially change his name two years after the PS2 release. He also jokingly asked a few vicars if they would unite him and his beloved PlayStation 2 into holy matrimony. “They didn’t seem keen.” – says Holmes.
29. The Hitman Edition PlayStation 4 is the rarest version of the console.
Since the original release of PlayStation 1 in December 1994, Sony and its partners have designed a few limited editions of the PS lineup. The Sony PlayStation facts that we discovered include a tidbit about a unique PlayStation 4 in the form of a briefcase with controllers made to resemble the silver handguns found in-game. This PlayStation went to the lucky fan who won Square Enix’s online raffle.
Other rare and unique PS4s include the PlayStation 4 Pro Spider-Man VIP Kit (which includes the game, several comics and a specially themed console) and the PS4 500 Million Edition (which came in a cool translucent blue colour).
30. A French teenager “bought” a PlayStation 4 for only £8.
When listing interesting facts about PlayStation 4, we must include the story about the most creative attempt to steal one. After picking up the console from the shelf, this French youngster went to the fruit department, where he weighed it as part of a huge bag of fruit. Then he simply placed the “new” price tag on the console and proceeded to the cash register. He would have gotten away with it if he hadn’t gone back to the same shop the next day to repeat his con. He was sentenced to four months in prison.
31. The PS2 logo can be rotated to align with the orientation of the console.
Our list of fun PlayStation facts also includes this gem: With the PS2, Sony released the first vertical-standing console on the market. In addition, the PS2 had one hidden feature that many believed was a flaw. Namely, its logo could be turned 90 degrees so it displays properly whether the console was set vertically or horizontally.
The PlayStation statistics and various facts outlined above take you through the brand’s journey of becoming today’s indispensable gaming platform. While it started as a simple gaming console to compete with similar devices, the PS console has evolved into an all-encompassing media centre for gaming, connecting with the world, and streaming music and video content. Nowadays, you can use a PlayStation for anything from learning educational content to igniting your imagination in rich and beautifully-built worlds. So what are you waiting for?
- Daily Mail
- Game Rant
- Giant Bomb
- ONE Esports
- PlayStation LifeStyle
- Road to VR
- Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
- Stat Counter Global Stats
- Stat Counter Global Stats
- The Fact Site