10 Fun Bingo Facts to Get You Excited for Your Next Game

10 Fun Bingo Facts to Get You Excited for Your Next Game

Bingo is one of the most popular pastimes in the UK and the world. 

Do you want to learn more about one of the world’s most popular games? 

We’ve got your back! We’ve compiled 10 great bingo facts you should know about. 

Let’s begin!

1. The game’s origins can be traced back to 1530 in Italy. 

A fun bingo fact and trivia is that one of the earliest forms of Bingo appears to be “Lo Giuoco del Lotto D’Italia,” an Italian lottery that was first held in 1530. The game was brought to France from Italy around 1770 and became known as “Le Lotto,” a game played by wealthy Frenchmen. And in the 1880s, it was Germany who had a popularised version of the game used to help pupils learn maths, spelling, and history.

2. In the UK, bingo was once referred to as “Housey-Housey”.

One of the most well-known bingo facts UK is that before it was known as “Housey-Housey” in the UK. The only difference between Housey-Housey and Bingo is the design of tickets. The numbers and bingo patterns look different!

3. It was previously known as “Beano” in the US.

This is actually a popular bingo statistic! Players used beans to track the numbers on their tickets. It was a country fair game in which a dealer chose numbered discs from a cigar box and players marked their cards with beans. “Beano” was the winner’s bingo call.

4. Bingo superstitions could help you win.

Bingo, like any other game of chance, has a few superstitions and lucky practices that are said to improve your chances of winning. Some would have lucky items, such as pens and chairs. In other cases, some players believe that going around their chairs three times will keep bad luck at bay.

5. Grandma’s not the only one getting frisky with a game of Bingo! 

It’s a common belief that older people are the ones who play bingo, but that’s false. In fact, over a third of online bingo participants fall within the 25-34 age group. In fact, 38% of bingo players are male, while the remaining 62% are female. 

6. Bingo is a famous pastime among celebrities.

Even among society’s elite, bingo has deep roots. For example, when her father won enough money to send her to drama school, Catherine Zeta-Jones owed it all to bingo. In the music video for Feel, Robbie Williams visits his local bingo hall in Stoke and plays bingo with Daryl Hannah. Her Majesty the Queen prefers the term “Palace” to “house”! And who knows, maybe the host and bingo caller in your next game will be someone famous!

7. Churches use bingo to raise funds.

The practice of using Bingo as a fundraising event began when a Catholic priest in Pennsylvania used it to raise funds for his church. This isn’t just a random bingo fact; it’s become a popular fixture in some parishes since then. With its simple rules, it’s no surprise that it became a popular charity game, even in some parishes in the United Kingdom!

8. Bingo is played by 8% of the total population in the UK.

Bingo is played by 8% of the country’s population – 10% of all women and 5% of all men – with over 3 million people playing at least twice a week. In fact, one of the most interesting bingo facts to mention is that in the United Kingdom, more money is spent on bingo tickets each year than on all football games combined.

9. In 2012, a Welsh woman set the world record for bingo winnings.

In 2012, a woman named Christine Bradfield was said to be the biggest Bingo prize winner, having won more than £1.1 million at The Castle Club in Merthyr Tydfil. She shared her winnings with her close friend and sister-in-law, Lorraine Williams, as they had agreed to split any prizes they won at their twice-weekly bingo sessions.

10. The largest online bingo win totals approximately £5.9 million.

2012 must have been a magical year for Bingo players. This is so because one of the most interesting Bingo facts and figures is that in the same year that Bradfield won her prize money, John Orchard won £5,883,044 after just betting 30p on a game. That’s the biggest payment an online bingo player has ever received!


We hope you enjoyed these bingo facts, whether you’re a seasoned player or just starting out.

As you probably noticed, the popular game has evolved over time, from changing call numbers to online play via Zoom and Skype.

So, if you want to stay on track, give it a try– it’s a lot of fun!

You may also be interested in:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *