After the EURO 2020’s final defeat to Italy, four people have been arrested for racially abusing English players on social media platforms.
The main targets of the abusers were future England stars Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashofrd, and Bukayo Saka, who all missed their penalties in the Euro 2020 final.
Mark Roberts, who is the Chief Constable, said that they would identify and track down everyone that is behind this crime and that everyone will face serious consequences for their shameful actions. He later added that the investigation is ongoing, and officers are working closely with social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to find those responsible.
Police said that after Sunday’s loss at Wembley, racist comments aimed at some of the squad’s black players appeared on social media platforms. Police now confirmed that four arrests had been made.
Among those who spoke publicly about this incident were the English team’s manager Gareth Southgate and the UK’s PM, Boris Johnson. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has even promised to ban social media racists from all football events.